It's a (Women's') party! On November 4, 2014, New Yorkers have an opportunity to create the first political party dedicated to women’s equality. The Women’s Equality Party needs just 50,000 votes in the gubernatorial election to formally establish itself.
Candidates of the Women’s Equality Party commit to passing the Women’s Equality 10-point plan:
- Establish Pay Equity for Women
- Stop Sexual Harassment in Every Workplace
- Stop Businesses from Discriminating Against Pregnant Women
- Strengthen Human Trafficking Laws
- End Hiring and Salary Discrimination Against Parents
- Stop Landlord Discrimination Against Women Who Depend on Housing Assistance
- Stop Housing Discrimination for Victims of Domestic Violence
- Allow for the Recovery of Attorneys’ Fees in Employment and Credit and Lending Cases
- Protect Victims of Domestic Violence by Strengthening Order-of-Protection Laws
- Apply the Full Standards of Roe v. Wade in New York
Sources: CAWP Center for the American Woman and Politics, Eagleton Institute of Politics, Ms. Magazine with the Communications Consortium Media Center and the Feminist Majority Foundation, Lake Research Partners, ThinkProgress, VoterParticipation.org, WomensEqualityParty.org, people-press.org.